So this Sunday I finally got to go see the Melbourne Art Fair for 2010 that was on over the weekend at the Royal Exhibition Buildings. Very cool building in itself and when filled with art from all over Australasia it was fantastic! Here are a few snapshots of bits I particularly liked – Yes, I couldn’t quite believe it …but I was actually allowed to take pictures ! *Click on any of the Polaroids to enlarge for a better look.
These first photos are of an interactive sculpture Paratekton by Simeon Nelson. Its one of three designs he has made for Mossgreen gallery – It comes as kitset in this beautiful box as pictured in the center, you assemble it yourself following pattern instructions, or build as you want. Was really stunning to see – its huge!
*Above left is a close up of a work entirely made out of lego – it was approximately 3×1.5 meters, and some bits were built outwards as well.
*Center is by Kathy Temin, represented by Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery, Sydney – The whole work is shapes covered in faux fur against a pale blue background…. it made me smile just walking around the corner and seeing it – it took up an entire wall of the galleries allocated space.
*Left- then is not now (blue) 2010, ceramic, nylon & wood, 19.0 x 25.0 x 25.0 cm is by Michael Doolan, Represented by Karen Woodbury gallery from Melbourne .
The above three works are from tbc Art incorporated – Its an artist run initiative based in Melbourne dedicated to providing a space where young, emerging and established artists alike have the artistic freedom to explore, experiment and take risks within their practices.
And this was the highlight of the day for me – Ryan Renshaw Gallery from Brisbane had dedicated its entire allocated space to New Zealand artist Peter Madden… He is one of my all time favorite artists, who I used as an artist model while studying fine arts at Massey. So seeing his work there was great. The piece in the middle titled Birds is my pic from the show… if only I had a spare eight grand, this is what I’d be spending it on!!! *Close up of Birds on the right.
And here are a few other artists from the show that I think are worth looking up and keeping an eye on :
- Isidro Blasco – Dominik Mersch Gallery, Sydney.
- Marion Borgelt – Dominik Mersch Gallery, Sydney.
- Andrew Taylor – Dominik Mersch Gallery, Sydney.
- Leigh Martin (Resin and pigment on canvas) – Jensen Gallery, Auckland.
- Belinda Fox – Niagara Galleries, Melbourne.
- Gwyn Hanssen Pigott (Ceramics) – Sophie Gannon Gallery, Melbourne.
- Sopheap Pich – Chancery Lane Gallery, Hong Kong.
- Shao Yinong & Muchen – Chancery Lane Gallery, Hong Kong.
- Rosalie Gascoigne – Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery, Sydney.
- Marley Dawson – Roslyn Oxley9 Gallery, Sydney.
- Robyn Stacey – Stills Gallery, Sydney.
- Megan Jenkinson (Lenticular) – Stills Gallery, Sydney.
- Chris Bond – Nellie Castan gallery, Melbourne.
- Tom Moore – Helen Gory Galerie, Melbourne.
- Cyrus Tang – Anna Pappas gallery, Melbourne.
- Vin Ryan – Anna Pappas gallery, Melbourne.