Audrey will be presenting ten brand new original pieces for this show – They will be split between the Melbourne and Sydney galleries, with the rest of the show taken up with rare prints and new editions.
So. Why is Audrey is one of my fav artists? Well. Here are some of the reasons why:
- The ambiguity of her girls. They are at once sexy and seductive, while having this aura of innocent naivety. The juxtaposition of their child-like, slender bodies and fresh faces with their knowing ,bedroom eyes and provocative positions – most often nude or scantily clad. Her works become very appealing…but in a slightly risqué, uncomfortable way.
- I have a great love for the wood she uses as her support -layering the paint so that it blends to almost nothing in places, letting the grain show through to become part of the girls flesh, which gives extra depth and life to her figures.
- Her muted colour palette that compliments the wood grain and the natural flow of her figures, Often just shades white and graphite grey with hints of soft colour every now and then.
- Her articulate, flawless line work – everything just flows so smoothly. Each image is a compositionally pleasing balance of background and foreground space, beautiful curves and shapes. Gah…. I wish I had the patience and steady hand for this, I can’t wait to see it up close on the originals!
- She has a unique and instantly recognizable style that draws from both anime and art nouveau, which she marries together in such a way to draw the eye from one detail of the work to the next in a fluid continuous motion. Her pieces hold a lot of levels that keep pulling you back in.
Friday 22th October Friday 29th October Friday 5th November 2010
249-251 Elizabeth St 13a Burton Street 260 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 Darlinghurst NSW 2010 Northbridge WA 6003
AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA Finishes 10th Nov Finishes 15th Nov Finishes 20th Nov
More info about the show can be found via Outre gallery : http://www.outregallery.com/