It’s been a while since I’ve managed to put anything new up here. The last few weeks I’ve been in a really weird headspace caused by various things – Frantically packing and cleaning our old apartment, A very quick visit back to Nz, And then the move straight into our new place the day we got back; to name a few. It’s meant I haven’t had any energy to paint, which in turn makes me grumpy and out of sorts = Uber frustrating and no fun for anyone!
The new apartment however, is fantastic. It’s taken me a bit to settle in… We’ve only just got internet connected, and are still in the process of unpacking and toddler proofing everything; but its all coming together. The place is big and open plan, and there is heaps of natural light. There may not be a space for a desk anywhere, But it has my ideal kitchen… Including a separate breakfast bar type counter, Which is under mega amounts of lighting so I can finally paint at night again.
I’ve fully taken it over with all my painting stuff, and am making an effort to jump back into it so that I don’t let the unproductiveness drag out too long. Because of the headspace thing I’ve gone back to painting a subject that calms me. Where I don’t have to think too much over why, I can just enjoy the process of making it – So here is the first finished orchid pic. I have three more on smooth hotpress watercolour paper underway. I also managed to mask up an additional three flax pieces today and add a base acrylic coat so they will be ready to move on to once these in-progress pieces are done.
I’ve been hoarding the flax paper for a while now, waiting for the right thing to paint on it… I can’t get it over here so I haven’t wanted to waste it on just anything. But I must say that I think orchids suit.
The paper was really soft and feathery when I got it and needed a primer to stop it disintegrating when I added water to it. I first gave it a layer of resin, before masking out the painted area and priming that with a thick layer of acrylic that I spread on with an old room-key card. After painting in gouache, I sealed the whole thing with Le Franc brilliant gloss retouching varnish. The result is super shiny, but with all the texture showing through. I like !