So I got a chance over the weekend to do a little bit of painting. Ending up with these little abstract works. They’re on the recycled cotton Khami paper from South India that I got from Melbourne artists supplies a while back – Similar to what I used for my Bluebird postcards, only a size up at A5, and on a thinner paper at 150gsm.
They’re a follow on from the set I did last year with a few changes. This time I limited the colour palette to greens blues and purples, similar to the colours found on a Paua shell. And instead of layering them with Shellac, I stained them first with a ceylon tea to achieve that lovely discoloured, uneven toned background.
Where the last set left me with a slightly uncompleted feeling… Almost with the want of another foreground image, I decided to use an indigo outline on these patterns and they seem have a more definite finished-ness to them which I am happy with. There’s a postcard size set in the works too, which I’ll post up soon.