Archive for the ‘Flax flowers’ Category

Trying out a new layout style with a mashup of native New Zealand plants and birds

Step up – Gouache, ink and resin on Stonehenge 245gsm print paper – Available (Framed) AU$240.00 from Sketch and Tulip, North Melbourne

Love love love how it turned out.  Its led me to a new series of works in this layout style, featuring a mashup of that oh so lovely plant the orchid – With an emphasis on my most beloved : The Slipper.  I’m slowly pulling in other features to the work, so that the series grows ever more lush and bizarre the further along track it gets.

Its the first series of work I’ve been excited about enough to want to publicly show in a while now – And I’ve found myself the perfect little venue at Sketch and Tulip close by to my place in North Melbourne!


Note : This work is currently for sale framed, directly from Sketch and Tulip in North Melbourne.  Please contact Huda Sleiman in regards to the purchase of paintings. Prices are in AU Dollars.

Sketch & Tulip
364 Victoria Street, North Melbourne
(03) 9329 9665

Tues & Wed 7am–4pm
Thurs to Fri 7am–late
Sat 8am–4pm
Sun 8am-4pm

Read Full Post »

I’ve just completed a short relief print class at Australian Print Workshop on Gertrude street in Fitzroy, running every Tuesday evening over the last four weeks.

It was a really fun little workshop, giving me the opportunity to make Vinyl, Linocut and Woodblock prints using the various printing presses they have on site.

These are a few pics from the first print I made using a vinyl block to create a single colour image. Printed using their beautiful Columbian printing press.  (Below)

I need to wait until next week, when the ink on the rest of my prints will be dry before I can go pick them up – And post up pics of course… So can’t wait!

Tui in Wgtn Wind – Edition of 3 onto Stonehenge 245gsm Printmaking paper 255 x 278mm.  I have decided to sell one print only – Check it out on Felt.

UPDATE : So I managed to press another two of this print the following week – This time on a handmade flax paper I’ve been hoarding since my mother sent me over a stack for my birthday. I love seeing the Tui on a handmade paper derived from the plant its perched on in the print. Also how the paper colour works with the black ink.

Read Full Post »

Just finished an edition of four New Zealand Tui perched on a red flowering flax branch, commissioned by the Auckland council Environmental services team.

I don’t usually do a lot of edition work, so it was a bit of a challenge to paint up four pieces to look the same.  Pretty stoked with how they’ve turned out though.

Now that these are complete and ready to send off to te courier I can finally spend some time planning the two colour wood block I need to make for the relief printing workshop I’ve enrolled in at Australian Print Workshop on Gertrude street in Fitzroy!

Read Full Post »

Apparently my Native New Zealand bird series have been a bit of a hit. …I currently have six different requests for Fantails, Tui, Huia and Saddleback birds.  I think this is fantastic – These wee birds are going to help fund my winter boot addiction.

I’m trying to make it a habit to paint up a couple of test birds first – To get my hand used to the fine detail on the feathers if I’ve had a few weeks away from painting. And its a good way to try out positions so the birds look natural too.

This is my Saddleback bird perched on a yellow Flax branch – Its A4, and is the first of two I’m painting up to see how they look.  I reckon it works… What do you think?

Read Full Post »

Here are the finished pair of A4 Tui paintings that I tried out on a landscape positioned paper, after seeing how well my fantail turned out :

They’ve been good practice for the commission piece I’ve been working on, which is a bush scene with a couple of native New Zealand birds.  I’m just up to pouring its resin topcoat now – So will post it up in the next few days once the resin has dried.

In the meantime, I’ve added these two up to my shop page on Felt.

Hmmm… I wonder which little birds I should have a go at painting next?

Read Full Post »

Finally got around to finishing off the detail and line work of the second little Tui that I originally painted up as part of my A5 paired native birds I was working on before I got that last big commission painting which steamrolled everything else.

Well the first Tui sold, along with my little fantail pair, but it was good to get this one finished off with the top detailing all the same – My current commission piece is all about native birds, so practicing a couple more Tui before hand is all good.

Anyways – I loved how these little ones turned out so much colour wise, and also what my bigger A4 fantail looked like in landscape form, that I thought I’d try another couple of Tui at this bigger size too.  Will post an update in the next few days when they’re all done and dusted… But I think they’re gonna look good!

Have popped it up on my Felt page for sale here.

Read Full Post »

I was going to save posting this Tui for when I had the second complete too… However yesterday I picked up a commission piece for an anniversary present, that needs to be completed and sent off to the courier in less than three weeks.

Its a good challenge to make things interesting at the moment, especially as its of a subject matter I wouldn’t usually choose to paint.  But it also means putting my personal projects on hold, so I’ll just post the first Tui in the mean time… Which I’ve actually already had the pleasure of selling, along with the previous Fantail pair in the set, just this morning!

Have to say, I’m going to miss this little one thats temporarily sat in my hallway this past week – When this commission paintings done and dusted I’m definitely going to start a new one to fill its empty place in the frame… That is, if I can squeeze it in before the April one is due!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »