Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Paper-cutting’ Category

This is the first set of nine records I’ve created for my new series Rise of the Fukushima Monsters 

Rise of the Fukushima Monsters - Set of nine

They’re the next step on from my Fearsome friends series, bringing in new characters and an underlying dialog to do with mutation caused by radioactive waste and what is happening within our oceans at present …And what may come in the future if we don’t just manage to kill everything off first.

New OrderFive

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I like the last Fearsome friends record so much I thought I’d have another go :

This one however, is done using a different method.  Where I painted directly onto the last record, using a base layer of acrylic before adding the gouache and resin topcoat; This one is painted on 245gsm Stonehenge print paper.  I then cut out the image – And all the little blank spaces between the tentacles, and applied it onto the record.  I still need to add the resin to give it a high gloss finish.

This is the method I used when creating my skate decks, trading in the vintage paper for 30″ Vinyl record as support.  Its meant I can add more detail than painting directly onto the record – Which offers no absorption, resulting in bleeding or cracking and flaking with the gouache once dry if you add too many layers.

Will post up the finished result when the poured resin is dry.

Read Full Post »

Remember the Paper garden I pasted up in our little brick courtyard last year?       Well it was getting a bit weathered and old – I decided to scrub it off and start fresh.

Enter my new fascination with pitcher plants… I’m determined to hunt me down one of the Nepenthes variety.  I’ve got such a thing for hanging plants at the moment!

I learnt a bit from the orchid cut outs I put up last round – This time I went for brighter, denser colour. Plus I cut right down to the image edge rather than leaving a white border.  They def. jump out at you from the bricks way more.

Read Full Post »

I’m currently working on a commission painting that involves native New Zealand birds.  So I started with a few sketches.  I thought I’d try out these little 10x10cm canvases to see if I could make use of the sketches after I was finished with them :

I began with a two tone background made with a print from a vintage embossed wallpaper I’ve been saving. I then built up some texture with a crackle medium that I worked back into with a chocolate gouache which I rubbed back – It gives them a bit of a worn, distressed look when you see them up close.  I added the sketches and sealed them onto the canvas with a clear layer of gloss resin, before working over top with gouache for the white highlighting on the birds and the Manuka branches.

Sweet. I like the subtle muted colours of these little pieces. May have to try out a few more with the other four pages of bird sketches I currently have!

Read Full Post »

I spent my Thursday evening last week making these basic papercuts to use under blacklight for my brothers housewarming.  Up until now, I have usually made flocks of birds for when making decorations, but as Duncs already has a collection of prototype birds from my vinyl swallow flock, I thought I’d try something different.

I love what you can do with white A4 paper, a pair of scissors and a uv light tube!

Sorry for the graininess again – Only had iphone with, rather than d’s nice cannon.

But I’m really pleased with how they turned out… I kinda love making papercut decorations *I think my friends should have more parties, so I can make more!!!

Read Full Post »